I had been eyeing this Airstream in Malibu for years now. I first saw one of my favorite bloggers (Amber Fillerup) visit it and blog about it here! I then started seeing it pop up all over social media after Taylor Swift did a shoot for Vogue and Kortney Kardashian did a stay-cation with her boyfriend! We decided to bring the kids, and all our friends met at the top to watch the sunset with appetizers & Wine. Luckily my sister and dad were with us, so they took the kids at bedtime back to Santa Monica and let us enjoy the place to ourselves! There is only one bed, so its best suited for a couple. We did have some of our friends come camp out on the mountain right behind us though- so that could be an option for a big group!
But let me tell you, it is worth the hype (and hike!). We chose to do one night and Yeirdon wished we had stayed their the entire time (I mean he is a doomsday-prepper and all haha). If you’re into “glamping” with a once in a lifetime view, stay here. I was happy we just did one night, I like to be social and explore area (eat out nonstop) when we visit cities. We did go to Nobu the night we stayed at the airstream, and I immediately regretted leaving and have to drive back in the pitch black up the 5 mile dirt road back to the airstream. (minor anxiety attack). Other than that, waking up to the sunrise on the side of the mountain at 6am with no one else around but animals was surreal.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You need an SUV to get to the airstream, I don’t think any Ubers/taxis will take you there (its off a beaten path)
- The sun sets on the airstream side, so if your going to enjoy it and get your pictures in do it at sunset!
- Follow the fall itinerary below the provided us, make sure to grab wine/groceries (they have a mini kitchen on site)
- The bathrooms are open air
- Bring bug spray, tennis shoes
- Stay on the lookout for wild animals!
- Bring “on the go chargers” for all your electronics, there is no service there!
This is the Itinerary we used for one day with them:
Assuming you have the entire day off, go to malibu EARLY and either spend the day at the beach or go hike one of the many great hikes in the area (google Malibu best hikes). Finish the hike by noon, go grocery shopping in point dume or Trancas market so you can then check in by 2pm at the latest at the airstream and enjoy an amazing afternoon at the property. You can do a small hike up there if you want but odds are you will not want to leave!
If for any reason you run out of wine, Neptune’s net restaurant sells some and is only 8 minute drive down.
* Make sure to bring an iPhone cable to plug into the battery or stereo for your music and have an “offline” playlist ready as there is no reception for Spotify.
Don’t hesitate to do this if you’re in the area, I had to reserve it for one night months in advance! If you click this link you can get $40 off your first time booking airbnb! (this isn’t sponsored by airbnb, I paid for our stay. They give each user a coupon code to give people and that is mine).
- Luggage(Seen in pictures): Ebags backpack here