I have been visiting Blowing Rock, NC since I was little so this post might be all over the place! My parents have owned a Condo at Chetola Resort for 20+years, so its safe to say we have been to the area a lot. Most of my travel guides on here have been to places I’ve had to research nonstop beforehand and we hit up every single hot spot during a short period. Growing up visiting Blowing Rock, I find myself going to the same usual places we love and not exploring the city like we do other places. But isn’t that usually the case in your own home-town?
I’ll tell you all our favorite spots below we hit up when in town, but you probably will find more on google too that I dont know about!
Accommodations: Chetola Resort
Like I mentioned above, this is where we typically stay when in town because my family owns one of the condos. The entire property is decorated & lights up during the holidays, so we are always there after Thanksgiving. They also have big events in the summer for 4th of July, and Parades for both seasons. The grounds are beautiful- So many people get married on the lawn overlooking the pond.
3 Types of Accommodations to choose from on property:
1. The Chetola Lodge- Which is just like your standard hotel rooms
2. The Bob Timberlake Inn- a Bed & Breakfast with 8 rooms that connects to the Lodge, above the main restaurant.
3. Condominiums- Which is where we stay- great for families! They range from 1- 4 bedrooms!
Amenities on site:
- Indoor Pool & Jacuzzi- My kids live here, so great during the winter months.
- Spa on Site
- Dining on Site
- Play Ground & Kid Recreation Center
- Outdoor Recreation:
Maintained Hiking Trails and Guided Hikes
Tennis & Pickle Ball
Fully Stocked Lake
Paddle Boats/Kayaks/Paddle Boards
12-Hole Disc Golf
Things to do Around the area:
- Explore Downtown Blowing Rock: go to the shops, park, tennis courts and basketball courts less than a mile from Chetola.
- Visit The Blowing Rock– This is one of my favorite scenic spots that’s very close by.
- Visit Tweetsie Railroad– If your visiting BR more than twice and have kids, get the season pass. Its the same amount if you were to go twice, and you can go year round. They just started doing Tweetsie Christmas, so its pretty much open on weekends year round now too!
- GrandFather Mountain– Its about a 30 minute drive, cross the high bridge and hike the trails to see all the animals onsite at the zoo.
- Skiing/Snowboarding: For beginners, or a short drive- just go to Appalachian Mountain. For more advanced go to Beech or Sugar. My personal favorite is Sugar for snowboarding.
- Hike a Waterfall: We’ve done Laurel Creek Falls, but follow the directions online to a tee. There are no signs.
- Visit Rough Ridge for amazing views/pictures: We did our family pictures here last year, you will see them below- its a hike up and then you can stand on the rocks overlooking the mountains. Peak time is in October/November when its fall foliage!
- Spa– for another beautiful spa off property, check out Westglow resort & Spa. Breathtaking!
(This is the path to Rough Ridge where these photos were taken)
- Bistro Roco– we make sure to always get a reservation here in advance during holidays! Favorite date night spot. It feels like you are in a cave/mountain kind of and I love there MacnCheese!
- Mellow Mushroom– I know a chain, but its right in Downtown Blowing Rock and I crave their “esperanza” dipping pizza sauce.
- Twigs– Go here for lunch on a nice day and sit outside, grab a draft beer.
- Kilwins– Another chain, but go here for Ice cream & Lemonade when walking around Downtown 🙂
(Our dresses are from Ivy City Co)
(these photos were taken on the grounds of chetola)
*I love our tradition of getting family photos done during the holidays every year there! All photos were taken by the lovely- Sydney Gail, if you’re local to Blowing Rock area, and are looking for a photographer that knows the area well + takes amazing photos, book her here!