Back in December we planned to split our month trip up by stopping in California to see our family and also take Covid Tests before traveling over to Hawaii. We partnered with Mazda USA on this trip to get one of their newest model cars (Mazda CX-5) to drive up the scenic route to Malibu. We have been to Malibu many times and this was the first time we actually were going to stay at Calamigos Guest Ranch! My best friend was supposed to get married at Calamigos almost a year ago, and then well you know that story. We decided to still stay at the resort and highlight the property while in town. I personally think there is no where better to stay in Malibu right now then Calamigos Guest Ranch. The entire area is a private 250 acre ranch with all types of animals and the perfect place to escape city life to feel safer. Below is everything you need to know!
How to get there:
We flew into LAX airport and picked up our Mazda rental. This car was perfect for a family with two car seats in the back and we were able to get 2 large checked bags, and two carry on, plus several backpacks into the trunk. From LAX, Malibu is about 40 minutes up the coast.
Where to stay:
Calamigos Guest Ranch: A luxury private resort in Malibu. We stayed in an Estate Suite, which has its own private pool area. I loved that these rooms fit two kings comfortably! I have never stayed in a room that had two king size beds side by side! I also loved how spread out the resort was and that you could walk to several different pool sections. As a Guest at Calamigos you also have access to their exclusive beach front club.
What to do:
- Malibu Wine Hikes with Kurt: This is a family friendly easy 2 mile hike around the Malibu property. If your kids are older, look into the safari tour where you can be chauffeured on a vehicle!
- Bliss Beach Picnic: This was one of my favorite days and set ups on the beach in Santa Monica. They have several locations.
- Calamigos Beach Club: If you are staying on property at Calamigos Guest Ranch, the resort offers a free shuttle to this private beach area.
- Malibu Pier: Take the kids down here to walk and explore the area. Make sure to grab breakfast at Malibu Farm Cafe!
- Horse Back riding: We did this one year and It will always be my favorite a sunset. Several places nearby offer horse back riding!
Where to eat:
- The Malibu Cafe– on property at Calamigos Guest Ranch. Due to Covid they are allowing you to order takeout and then dine in the grass, enjoy the cornhole and ping pong games with the kids.
- Malibu Farm Cafe: On the Pier, enjoy the views and frose!
- Nobu Malibu: Our favorite of all Nobus! Amazing food and views. Book 30 days in advance!
We loved having the Mazda car rental available at all times to scoot around town. My favorite feature of the car was the bluetooth radio and the fact the sunroof went all the way back for fresh air. The ride was so smooth. Thanks Mazda USA for the ride around town and Calamigos Guest Ranch for having us! We can’t wait to schedule another visit soon!